It is important to be aware of email scams and phishing emails. These emails are randomly sent with false “spoofed” email addresses and made to look as if these emails are sent from MGI Bass Gordon staff or even SARS indicating that that taxpayer is eligible for a discount on early payment of taxes.
Kindly note the following:
- Our domain name for our emails is bassgordon.co.za – any variations are fake.
- All correspondence from MGI Bass Gordon will be in an official letter format including relevant tax reference codes advising of payment procedures.
- SARS does not have alternative bank accounts for discount payments, or any other payments, other than the bank account details provided on SARS e-filing website or automatically listed in your banking account as a pre-approved beneficiary.
- We always advise using SARS’ credit push facility where the payment link is sent from SARS e-filing directly into your bank account, where you verify the payment when logged into your bank account.
- SARS will also never offer a payment discount on early settlement of taxes that are due, only late payment will incur further penalties.
- Do not open or respond to emails from unknown sources.
- Beware of emails that ask for personal, tax, banking and eFiling details (login credentials, passwords, pins, credit / debit card information, etc.).
- SARS will never request your banking details in any communication that you receive via post, email, or SMS. However, for the purpose of telephonic engagement and authentication purposes, SARS will verify your personal details. Importantly, SARS will not send you any hyperlinks to other websites – even those of banks.
- Beware of false SMSs. MGI Bass Gordon staff only communicate via email and phone call.
- Neither MGI Bass Gordon nor SARS send *.htm or *.html attachments.
- Neither MGI Bass Gordon nor SARS will ever ask for your credit card details.
If you receive communications from us or from SARS that seem suspicious, please call us on 021 405 8500 to verify the legitimacy of the email/SMS/phone call.